Did Brittany Murphy Die From Toxic Mold?

Many of us remember Brittany Murphy fondly for her hilarious personality and hit roles in movies like Just Married and Uptown Girls. Tragically, her life ended far too early when she was just 32 years old.

There is still some mystery and controversy surrounding her death. Brittany’s husband died only five months later, making the situation even more muddled. After the autopsy report came out, some people started asking, “Wait…was Brittany Murphy’s death from toxic mold? Did mold play a factor in her health?” Let’s explore what we know.

Brittany Murphy and Toxic Mold

Brittany Murphy’s death was ruled as accidental. The autopsy said that Brittany had anti-seizure medications in her body when she passed. Strangely enough, her husband reported seizures to his doctor shortly before he died. Prolonged exposure to toxic mold has been found to give people seizures, however, it was never made public whether or not their home was tested for toxic mold.

One toxic mold, stachybotrys chartarum, commonly known as “black mold” has a deadly reputation. Black mold can grow in any home, anywhere in the world. To thrive it just needs moisture, oxygen, warmth, and food. It can hide in chimneys, air conditioners, the bottom of your toothbrush holder, behind the drywall in the basement, inside your shower knob…and the list continues! The CDC says that the best course of action is always to remove black mold from the home or building.

Symptoms of Prolonged Exposure to Black Mold

Black mold is not the only type of mold that can cause allergic reactions and severe symptoms. Aspergillosis fumigatus mold can also cause chronic lung problems in people with weakened immune systems, and make them more vulnerable to diseases like pneumonia.

Breathing in toxic mold was not the sole factor responsible for Brittany Murphy’s death. However, it’s speculated that toxic mold may have aggravated her health conditions. It could have caused her seizures and other symptoms. Ultimately, toxic mold may have left her susceptible to contracting pneumonia, which led to her death.

Exposure to toxic mold can cause the following symptoms and more:

  • Nosebleeds
  • Headaches
  • Body aches and pains
  • Dramatic shifts in mood
  • Memory loss
  • Skin rashes
  • Sinusitis
  • Watery, red eyes
  • Dizziness
  • Seizures
  • Severe abdominal pain
  • Pulmonary hemorrhaging in infants (blood from windpipe or airways leaking into lungs)

Brittany Murphy was complaining of intense, constant abdominal pain in the days leading up to her death. Toxins, heavy metals, and anti-seizure drugs were all reported in Brittany’s autopsy. The coroner listed pneumonia, anemia, and intoxication from prescribed drugs as the causes of Brittany Murphy’s untimely death. No illegal or recreational drugs were found in her system. When her husband passed shortly after, it was from anemia and acute pneumonia.

Black Mold Exposure and Pneumonia

Exposure to toxic mold can trigger asthma attacks, wheezing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath. In some cases, pneumonia may develop. People who are allergic to mold or have asthma and other respiratory illnesses are more likely to experience adverse and severe symptoms.

If you’re wondering if black mold can kill you, the quick answer is: it’s unlikely. Death from toxic mold is highly uncommon, yet it has been reported. Black mold should never be taken lightly. Do not presume that you are not at risk! Discovering black mold in your home means you need to deal with it immediately.

Rid Your Spokane, WA Home from Toxic Mold

Finding the source of the problem and removing the mold is just as important as treating the health effects caused by mold toxicity. Here at My Pure Environment, we are experts at identifying and treating mold infestations in your home or office. We strive to go the extra mile—our team of local experts is focused on changing lives and improving the health of our community by removing mold and mildew from the places we live and work.

Contact us today and let us help you get back to a safe, healthy place.

Image used under creative commons license commercial use – (10/4/2021) Jezael Melgoza (Unsplash)

Similar Posts