Does Vinegar Actually Kill Mold?
White vinegar does kill mold, because of its high acidity. We have discussed in previous posts that it is an effective home alternative to bleach. The caveat, however, is that you can never fully rid your home of mold, without proper professional equipment and chemicals. If you are treating household items with mold growth, white vinegar can be used as a natural antifungal treatment.
If you have visible mold anywhere in your home, you should contact a professional to perform a complete home inspection, including taking air and surface samples. That way, you can get a good idea of the full extent of your mold problem, and how best to resolve it.
Does Vinegar Kill Mold?
Yes—to a certain extent. Vinegar is highly acidic, which makes it an effective mold killer. It’s also natural and safe, so you won’t have to worry about damaging surfaces or furniture. It’s a great alternative to harsh chemicals, like bleach, which does not actually kill mold, and can damage surfaces.
White vinegar is an effective mold killer because of its high acidity. Microbes, and mold spores cannot survive highly acidic environments. That’s why, in nature, many plants (especially fruits) have evolved to be more acidic—to prevent them from being invaded by foreign bacteria and fungi.
You’ll need to be careful of the concentration of white vinegar that you use. Concentrations of less than 5% are not as effective at killing mold. That’s why we recommend that you don’t dilute your vinegar when treating a mold problem. Apply it directly to the mold patch, and use a stiff bristle brush to scrub away any loose debris.
What the EPA Says About Mold
The EPA does not specifically mention the use of white vinegar to kill mold. However, they do echo our advice, that you can never fully remove mold from porous surfaces like wood, drywall, or grout.
Always be aware of the health risks of mold exposure. Wear the proper PPE when interacting with mold. This includes:
N-95 or comparable face mask
Long pants, and long sleeve shirts
Tyvek Suit (optional)
Why You Should Call a Professional Mold Removal Company
There are many dangers in approaching a mold infestation on your own—the least of which is the fact that you could accidentally spread the mold to other parts of your home. Mold exposure has been associated with a multitude of health problems, including asthma, allergic reactions, and skin irritation.
Given the associated risks of dealing with mold growth in your home, it’s much better to call professionals at My Pure Environment to address any concerns. We offer free consultations, and a free online quote. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help!
Image used under creative commons license - commercial use (3/30/2021) NatureFriend (Pixabay)