How Does Temperature Affect Mold Growth?
Image by rbysterbosch from Pixabay
There are various contributing factors to the promotion of mold growth. Primarily these include temperature, organic matter, and moisture. How does temperature affect mold growth? Temperatures can help and hurt mold growth depending on how high or low it is. In our previous post, we discussed ways to prevent mold growth in your home by assessing moisture. At My Pure Environment, we want to assure that you have the right information to make the best choice for your mold removal.
What temperature does mold grow in?
Mold, being a living organism, grows well at temperatures between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Different types of mold can have varying minimum and maximum temperature ranges for growth. Similar to water condensation on the outside of a cup in the heat, temperature fluctuations can also produce the moisture needed for mold growth.
Can mold grow in other temperatures?
Yes, mold can grow in varying temperatures and seasons. The NC Department of Health and Human Services clarifies that growth can continue throughout both the winter and summer months. Mold can be found in HVAC units if they are over or undersized. Similarly, it can grow between uninsulated exterior windows and walls. It is important to consult a trained professional to rid your environment completely of mold.
Will light kill mold?
Proper ventilation and light are effective ways to prevent mold from growing, however they are not a guaranteed way to eradicate mold and its spores. In an article regarding mold and health safety, the Environmental Protection Agency explains the difference between ultraviolet germicidal cleaners and natural light. It is noted that proper lighting, such as natural light through windows, will help deter mold from having the ideal conditions to grow but will not completely eliminate mold and its spores. The article goes on to discuss ultraviolet cleaners:
“If properly designed, ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) cleaners that use ultraviolet radiation from UV lamps may destroy indoor biological pollutants such as viruses, bacteria, and some molds that are growing on the moist interiors of HVAC surfaces (e.g., cooling coils, drain pans, or ductwork). But typical UVGI cleaners used in homes have limited effectiveness in killing bacteria and molds. Effective destruction of some viruses and most mold and bacterial spores usually requires much higher UV exposure than is provided in a typical home unit. Furthermore, dead mold spores can still produce allergic reactions, so UVGI cleaners may not be effective in reducing allergy and asthma symptoms.”
Set up a consultation today!
At My Pure Environment, we have a revolutionary dry fog mold removal system that removes living and dormant microorganisms from the air. This allows for a thorough removal of mold and other bacteria in hard-to-reach locations, without extreme measures like demolition. Contact us by phone or email for a consultation today to learn more.