How Is Mold Toxicity Treated?

The last thing you want is to feel uncomfortable in your own home. However, mold exposure can cause or exacerbate health problems for you and your family. Protect yourself and your loved ones from toxic mold illnesses by learning how to recognize the symptoms of mold toxicity and how to seek treatment.

What is mold toxicity?

Health problems from toxic mold exposure fall into two categories. The first is a mold allergy or sensitivity. This can be diagnosed with either a skin prick test or a blood test. Symptoms that indicate you have a mold allergy include:

  • Itchy eyes, nose, or throat
  • Coughing and sneezing
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Dry, irritated skin
  • Postnasal drip

If you believe you have a mold allergy or sensitivity, talk to your doctor about seeking a formal diagnosis and limit your exposure to environments where mold may be present.

The second health complication from mold exposure is mold toxicity. This condition can be difficult to diagnose because it affects multiple body systems and symptoms vary case by case. Some signs of toxic mold illness include:

  • Memory loss
  • Shortness of breath
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle weakness
  • Tingling or numbness
  • Light sensitivity

It is important to note that there is no definitive link between mycotoxicosis, mold poisoning from black mold, and the above symptoms. Mold exposure is no joke, however, and members of your family with asthma, allergies, and weakened or underdeveloped immune systems could be at risk for health complications.

Mold Toxicity Treatment

Luckily, there are a number of ways to treat illness from toxic mold exposure. Keeping yourself and your family healthy is a matter of eliminating mold from your home and addressing the symptoms of mold toxicity as they present themselves.

Purify the Environment

If you think you’ve been exposed to mold in your home, the first thing to do is call for a professional inspection. A mold remediation expert can help you test for mold in your home and remove it completely so that your family is no longer at risk.

Take Care of the Symptoms

Since mold spores are airborne, the respiratory system and sinuses tend to be the most affected by mold inhalation. There are several over-the-counter options to cure your nasal symptoms:

  • A nasal rinse
  • Decongestant sprays
  • Antihistamines

You can also talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for nasal corticosteroids or a prescribed oral decongestant. For a long-term remedy, your healthcare provider may recommend immunotherapy if they diagnose you with a severe mold allergy.

If your doctor determines that long-term exposure to mold has resulted in mycotoxicosis, treatment options may include peptide therapy, detox, supplementation, or dietary changes.

Schedule a Mold Inspection Today

Keep your family happy, healthy, and safe by eliminating mold in your home once and for all. The professionals at My Pure Environment in Spokane, Washington, are here to help with toxic mold testing and remediation services. Call us at 509-212-1915 or send us a message to schedule an inspection, so you can breathe easy once more.

Photo by engin akyurt on Unsplash

Similar Posts