Have you noticed any brown or black patches in the ducts of your air conditioning and heating system lately? They could be a sign of mold growth, which can be harmful to your health as well as impede the efficiency of your HVAC system. At My Pure Environment in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, our experts specialize in household mold removal, including pesky mold in HVAC systems. Today our experts will share how to recognize signs of mold in your HVAC system and how to remove it.
Health Effects of Mold in HVAC Systems
Anytime there is mold in your home, it can affect your health. Having mold in your home is never good, but mold in HVAC systems can actually cause more harm. If there’s mold in your HVAC system ducts, every time you use your air conditioning and heating system, mold spores can travel through the vents and be pushed into any room in your home.
Once the mold spores are in the air you breathe, they can damage your health. And if you are exposed for a long period of time, you may experience symptoms like memory loss, depression, asthma, and irritated skin that result in rashes. These mold spores are so tiny that they can’t be seen, which means they are difficult to get rid of without professional mold removal.
Signs of Mold in HVAC Systems
Mold in your HVAC system can often go unnoticed, because of its similar appearance to dust bunnies, often appearing as gray or black patches. To keep yourself and your family healthy, it’s essential to know how to spot the signs of mold.
You might notice a musty smell when you turn on your air conditioning or heating system. Or, you might see patches of small brown or black spots in the air ducts. You might also experience symptoms such as watery eyes, excessive sneezing, or coughing. If you spot any of these signs, schedule a mold inspection right away.
Removing Mold from Your HVAC System
One of the most efficient ways to remove mold from your HVAC system is by spraying the ducts of your HVAC system with an HVAC mold inhibitor spray. HVAC mold inhibitors should be EPA approved to ensure that they are safe to use in your home.
Mold inhibitor sprays kill mold, but they can be dangerous to humans as well. It’s important to wear an N-95 mask as well as gloves and goggles if you choose to remove the mold yourself. We recommend only using mold inhibitors when there is a small amount of mold.
Attempting to deal with a large amount of mold is not only dangerous to your health, it can also spread the mold spores around, allowing them to find new places to grow. If there is a large quantity of mold in your HVAC system, contact My Pure Environment for professional mold removal.
HVAC Mold Removal in Coeur d’Alene
HVAC systems are a common mold growth area in the home. If you suspect that you have mold in your HVAC system, you’re not alone. Take the first step toward a healthier home and contact the mold removal specialists at My Pure Environment for a free inspection.