DIY Mold Removal: Is It A Good Idea?

Mold can be more than just unsightly. It can be harmful to your health, even if you’re not allergic to it. Removing it is paramount to your health and safety, but how safe is it to remove yourself? Is DIY mold removal a good idea? Or should you leave it to the professionals?

DIY mold remediation can be risky. It’s only marginally safe if your mold spot is very small and if there’s no one very old, or very young, or immunocompromised in your household. It’s a job best left to the professionals.

Why is DIY mold removal a bad idea?

Mold’s job is to stick to things and spread. In the process of DIY mold removal, you could actually spread it to other areas. Exposure to mold can cause respiratory issues, and in infants, exposure to mold can lead to croup and pneumonia. Identifying the mold can be difficult, which means you may not fully understand the scope of the problem.

Safe mold removal requires a special N95 mask, which will be near impossible to find if you’re reading this during the time of Covid-19. You’ll also need to wear clothes that you can ideally dispose of after remediation. Gloves and goggles are required to protect yourself during the process, and you should shower before eating or drinking to prevent contamination.

Mold spores can spread to vents or air-ducts requiring even more costly cleanup. You also may not be able to actually remove the mold yourself without having to demolish the affected area, which can be even more costly.

The Benefits of Professional Mold Removal

At My Pure Environment, our mold remediation process involves the use of dry-fog technology. Our patented micro-particle penetrates deep into cracks and crevices where mold settles, and eradicates spores on contact. The process only takes a few hours, and best of all, won’t require any costly demolition.

Contact our professionals at My Pure Environment for mold remediation in the Santa Clara or San Francisco area.

Photo by Liz Roll, FEMA Photo Library

Similar Posts