Is It Safe to Live in a House with Mold?

Houses with water damage, high humidity, or poor ventilation can quickly fall victim to mold infestations. Indoor mold can grow almost anywhere—in the basement or attic, kitchen or bathroom, and even in places like HVAC ducts. But mold is far from harmless—it can cause allergies, illnesses, and even structural damage. Here’s why mold exposure is a health hazard, and why it’s unsafe to live in a house with mold.

How Dangerous Is Indoor Mold?

Most molds are harmless to humans, which is fortunate, since there are so many different kinds. However, some strains can trigger toxic or allergic reactions. Depending on the type of mold and the amount of mold in your home environment, it could be making you sick.

Toxic Mold

Mold toxicity affects everyone differently, and each person has a unique combination of symptoms. It can affect your respiratory system, nervous system, digestive system, or your mental health. Extended exposure to the most dangerous types of toxic mold (like aspergillus fumigatus and stachybotrys chartarum) can eventually cause deadly respiratory infections.

Allergenic Mold

About one out of every 4 people is allergic to mold—they genetically lack the ability to make the antibodies that fight mold spores. Mold allergy symptoms are a lot like seasonal allergy or cold symptoms: runny nose, itchy eyes, coughing, wheezing, etc.

Should You Live in a House with Mold?

About 25% of people are sensitive to mold, and can fall victim to mold allergies, mold sickness, and mold toxicity. If you’re one of them, indoor mold is a problem that you need to deal with right away. Mold exposure can also complicate some medical conditions. People with asthma, cystic fibrosis, or compromised immune systems have the highest risk of complications from mold exposure.

Buying or Renting a House with Mold

When you’re buying a house, it’s always a good idea to schedule a mold inspection. The presence of mold often indicates that there is other structural damage—a leak in the roof, faulty plumbing, a crack in the foundation—so a wise homebuyer should take caution.

If you’re looking for a place to rent, always check for signs of mold before you sign a lease. If you see any indication of water damage, like patched ceilings or a funky smell in the cabinets under the kitchen sink, beware of mold. And always ask the landlord or realtor if there has been any recent water damage in the unit.

Don’t Take the Risk—Get a Free Mold Inspection Today

Mold exposure is a health hazard, and the longer it goes on, the more dangerous it becomes. When you know how dangerous mold is, you know that it is not safe to live in a house with mold. That’s why My Pure Environment offers an initial mold inspection at no cost to you. Find out whether or not you’re living with mold—contact our Spokane team today at 509-213-1915.

Photo by Valentina Locatelli on Unsplash used with permission under the Creative Commons license for commercial use 1/3/2023.

Similar Posts