• My Pure Environment

Why is mold harmful to our respiratory system?


why is mold harmful to our respiratory system?

Here at My Pure Environment we are dedicated to creating spaces free of mold and pathogens by using our patented dry fog technology. We’re also dedicated to educating our readers about the dangers of mold.


In the past we’ve addressed how mold is harmful to humans. Continuing along that important topic, we’re going to provide more information about why mold is harmful to our respiratory system. We’ll also cover ways you can limit your exposure to mold.


Mold harms our respiratory system because it’s inflammatory.


Mold spores are toxic and inflammatory. Mold harms the respiratory system by causing inflammation in the mucous membranes. Our bodies respond by sending antibodies to the inflamed area, increasing the inflammation and pressure.


This process is aggravating, and your sinuses may become sore and achy. Your eyes can itch, your nose can drip, and your breathing may become restricted. It can be downright miserable! Prolonged exposure to mold spores can lead to asthma and sinusitis. All that is pretty harmful to our respiratory systems.


Other harmful effects of mold


The mycotoxins that mold produces have negative effects on our bodies. These effects range from light sensitivity to hair loss. Some more harmful effects mold can have on our respiratory systems are:

  1. Starting or worsening asthma, especially in infants and children

  2. Sinusitis

  3. Cough

  4. Respiratory irritation

  5. Worsening allergic symptoms for those with a mold allergy


Knowing how dangerous mold can be to our bodies, we want to help give you solutions. Limiting your exposure to mold is a good place to start.


How can I limit my exposure to mold?


Even though mold is everywhere, and it’s impossible to avoid entirely, low concentrations of mold aren’t harmful. Sounds like good news, but be careful here! Do not let your guard down!


The bad news is that any concentration of mold that produces visible growth is way too high to be safe.


If you see mold, do your best to prevent exposing yourself to it by:

  1. Avoid obviously contaminated areas - do not go near them or try to clean them. Let a professional handle that for you.

  2. Keep hands, skin, and clothes away from dust that’s been contaminated by mold

  3. Use protective equipment like gloves and masks if you are ever inspecting an area you think has mold

Handling mold to prevent harmful effects


Now that you know why harmful mold is to your respiratory system, keep your distance! Do not attempt to handle the mold on your own. Protect yourself by preventing exposure. This will help keep your respiratory system safe from harmful, toxic mold.


If you suspect you’ve been exposed to mold, call My Pure Environment! Our trained professionals can safely identify mold growth, and any potential for future exposure. We offer a complete home inspection. Contact us today for a free consultation.



Image used under creative commons license - commercial use (4/26/2021) Clker-Free-Vector-Images (Pixabay)

Recent Posts

See All